|Sharaf DG Time Square Centre Location Map|
– Samsung Corporation from South Korea is main building contractor
– Estimated construction cost. The whole Dubai Downtown development is costing around $20 billion and will contain 30,000 homes and the world’s largest shopping mall, The Dubai Mall $1 billion
– Many of the lower floors will be taken up by a 175-room Armani Hotel. In addition there will be 144 luxury residential suites designed by Giorgio Armani and kitted out with his home furnishing line
– Floors 17 to 108 will have 800 private apartments. These sold out within eight hours
– Most of the higher floors will be offices and private suites
– An observatory 442 metres above ground on the 124th floor will be open to the public ? the highest publicly accessible observation deck in the world
– There will be a club on floors 144 to 146
– Inspiration for the design was derived from the flower of the Hymenocallis plant that is widely cultivated in Dubai.
– Built of glass, aluminium, concrete and steel
– Much of the external surface is made of factory-produced unitised panels. Made of aluminium, glass and various brackets, they interlock on site and are up to two storeys tall. They improve quality and speed up building work
– Tip of the spire will be visible 60 miles away
– The rods that reinforce the structure weigh a total of 31,400 tonnes and laid end-to-end would stretch more than a quarter of the way around the world
– Water system will supply about 250,000 gallons per day
– The building’s external surface is the size of 17 football fields
– The concrete used is equivalent to a solid cube of concrete 61 metres in size or a 1.5-metre wide pavement 1,200 miles long. It weighs the same as 100,000 elephants
– Peak electricity demand of the building is the same as 360,000 100-watt light bulbs
Source: Gulf News
The supertowers are Burj Dubai (where work continues after the completion of 126 floors), Burj Al Alam (slated to rise to 108 floors), the 101-storey Marina 101, Princess Tower (107 floors), the 120-storey Pentominium and Al Burj (which is expected to have between 180 and 200 floors).
Most of these buildings are in various stages of planning and construction although Burj Dubai – tipped to become the world’s tallest tower – is powering ahead, adding a floor a week, and at least three others are in the early stages of construction. Work on Al Burj is not expected to start until Burj Dubai, whose height and floor-level are closely-guarded secrets, is completed.
So Dubai will remain in the news for developing supertowers until at least 2015. No city other than Dubai and Chicago hosts more than one supertower.
Chicago has two – the 108-storey Sears Towers and the 100-storey John Hancock Center. A third, the 118-floor 7 South Dearborn tower, is under construction
source: Gulf News